Re: PostgreSQL.Org

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL.Org
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:00:58PM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Sure - they're equivalent for resolution purposes; but not
> for human readers. Consider how you would read
>    "ExpertsExchange.com" vs
>    "ExpertSexChange.com".
> out loud.

Yes, that's one of the canonical example problems with supposing your
trademarked name will appear correctly in the DNS.

> > PostgreSQL.Org
>
> In light of the ExpertsExchange example, how would
> you expect that to be pronounced?

"Postgres community", of course :)  (More seriously,
"Postgress-queue-ell-dot-org", given that's how I pronounce it.)

> And if resolution purposes are all that matters, note that
> it seems that
> % nslookup 'www.\112ostgresql.org'
> gives me the same result.

Sure.  (Although I'll point out that nslookup has been deprecated for
some years now, MSFT aside.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton