Re: PHP sucks!! - was: persistent db connections in PHP

От Leif B. Kristensen
Тема Re: PHP sucks!! - was: persistent db connections in PHP
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Saturday 16. June 2007 23:34, Erick Papadakis wrote:
>How much value you derive from a language
>depends on how you use it. After playing for years with Perl, and now
>with Python and Ruby, I think PHP is still where it's at.

I too have played around with Perl and Python, and use both of them for
special jobs, but I'm writing my dynamic web pages in PHP. In
hindsight, I might have been better off writing them in Perl, but I was
put off by the lousy HTML generated by the CGI module. It doesn't even
close paragraphs. PHP doesn't have anything like the CGI.pm, but I'm
quite content with hand coding where every single HTML tag should go.

>I am not
>overly into OOP, I like to use what works best. Our code is very, very
>cleanly structured in fast procedural functions, and where possible,
>no functions at all (because instantiating a function still takes some
>processing power) and we follow something like an MVC model. And we
>wouldn't touch PEAR with a borrowed pole, although we do pick out some
>classes once in a while.

I consider writing database interfaces in OOP as a fundamental
misunderstanding of what RDBMS's are good for. The Java droids and the
Ruby fanbois, for instance, seem to prefer fetching single values from
the db, and then do the entire logic in their own software.

>It doesn't. However, many average joes who find PHP accessible and
>therefore usable, do suck rocks.

The average Joes program in Java and Ruby nowadays.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/