Re: Trouble migrating from PostgreSQL --> Oracle

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Trouble migrating from PostgreSQL --> Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 06:08:44AM -0800, matthew.d.williams@gmail.com wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've recently just inherited a PostgreSQL database that is a back end
> for some logistics software we use here.  We have our own Oracle
> servers in our group on faster machines with automated backup so we
> would like to move all the data over to Oracle.
>
> The software came with scripts to create the owners, tables and
> permissions in Oracle but when using "pgAdmin" (Windows client being
> used to administer the PostgreSQL database at the moment) export
> feature which dumps the entire database in form of insert statements,
> seems to not carry over everything we need (lots of data is missing
> from the application).
>
> Can anyone recommend a clear cut way to migrate the data over?  We're
> generating and importing a text file with almost a gig worth of import
> statements but we're figuring there has to be a easier way that will
> not only bring over all the data but do it more effeciently as well.

If you just need to get an initial load into PostgreSQL, you could
probably use EnterpriseDB to do it. Load the stuff into EnterpriseDB
with the Oracle scripts and then try pg_dumping from there into
PostgreSQL (might work better using the community pg_dump; I suspect our
version has been changed to support Oracle-isms).

There's also an Oracle to PostgreSQL migration program floating around
somewhere; I think you can theoretically just run the creation scripts
through it.