Cannot rename file pg_xlog\0000.....

От Mike G
Тема Cannot rename file pg_xlog\0000.....
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I had someone pull the plug on my database about a week ago.  When it was restarted
postgres would not start because of the postmaster.pid file existed already.  I deleted
the pid file and attempt to restart the postmaster but it again failed.  The error this
time was that Log could not rename the file pg_xlog\something to pg_xlog\something new.
 I then rebooted the machine again, the postmaster service started up, and everything
seemed to be ok.

I am now having problems where everything on the database seems to be working fine but
then it starts going slower and slower.  Simple COPY table X FROM File statements that
normally take 10 seconds at the most can now take 20 minutes (1000 rows) if they ever
finish.

Rebooting the system seems to help for a little while but sometimes the postmaster
service starts immediately and other times it hangs while trying to start.

I have noticed that in the event logs that I am again seeing errors about the renaming:
LOG: could not rename file
"pg_xlog/000000010000006900000021" to "pg_xlog/000000010000006900000030" continuing to try

Windows 2003 Server SP1 - Postgres 8.1.5.  Original install from 8.1 and upgraded using
standard windows installer through each version.

I have manually vacuumed the databases, including the postgres db, to check for errors
(I normally use autovacuum), rebuilt all indexes using the force option on all databases
including the postgres db.

My next attempt to "fix" the problem was to create a new database and restore it using
the latest backup I have or can make.

Any other suggestions??

Mike