Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Very clear.  The issue is that I can't find any of these emitted by a
> > pg_dump version who's native backend doesn't understand them.
>
> So?  We're not doing anything differently in that regard either.  8.2
> will understand the SET, what's the problem?

Uh, 8.2 doesn't need these flags.  It is for back branches that assume
escape processing.

Anyway, I talked to Tom on the phone and he feels we just need to tell
people loading pre-8.1 dumps to use PGOPTIONS to set
escape_string_warning to false when loading the dump.  Seeing that many
pre-8.1 people are not going to upgrade the newest 8.0.X before
upgrading to 8.2 or 8.3, I suppose the PGOPTIONS approach is OK.  It
would have to be documented in the release notes, actually starting with
8.2 because that's the first release where escape_string_warning can be
true.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com