Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:33:34PM +0200, Andrus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > Upsizes? Are you adding more data? If so then yes, analyze would be
> > good, though autovacuum should handle it for you.
>
> I create new Postgres database, upsize a lot of data into  it. After that

FWIW, people generally refer to that as 'loading data'; I've never heard
of 'upsizing' before, which is why I was somewhat confused.

> this database goes online and will receive a lot of transactions daily.
> I'm using PG 8.1 default postgres.conf file.

Well, by default autovacuum is turned off. Aside from that there's other
things you'll want to tune. Take a look at the annotated postgresql.conf
that's in techdocs.

> I read than autovacuum may skip some tables which can cause wrong guru
> hints.
>
> So it seems that I should run manually VACUUM ANALYZE for the whole database
> once for initial statistics colection of those tables, isn't it?

No real need to vacuum, just running analyze on the entire database
would suffice.

Сообщение: Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1
Сообщение: Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1