Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Дата
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 3 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I don't mind if its *also* ship'd in the main distribution as well, I just
>> want that 'quick to download since I already have the libraries/headers
>> installed' package ...
>
> We could break out all of the pls at that point? Where if you downloaded
> postgresql-opt you would get plPHP, plPerl etc...

Optimally, you would get rid of -opt altogether, and leave it as the
individual pl(s) ... the main purposes of the smaller tar balls is so that
someone building a port (*BSDs) or a package (other OSs) would only need
to download the component that applies to them, and someone installing
from source, similar ...

Another benefit would be the ability, for instance, of there being a plPHP
"project" on pgfoundry, where, when a release is made, the tar file is
copied up to there (by the project maintainer, not by me) ... this would
be good to allow sub-projects like this to be able have their own
discussion forms, bug tracking, etc ... while the main code is still
maintained in the main source tree ...

My primary desire is to avoid having to download several Meg of tar
ball(s) in order to add a module to an existing server ... if that can be
accomplished, then my main objection to adding things to the core CVS are
eliminated ...

----

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement