Re: cast pid_t to int when using *printf

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: cast pid_t to int when using *printf
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Am Freitag, 24. September 2004 09:34 schrieb Oliver Jowett:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 16:51, Oliver Jowett wrote:
> >>gcc (3.2.3 on Solaris 9) warns about a couple of places where a pid_t is
> >>formatted with %d by a printf-family function.
> >
> > For curiosity's sake, what formatting escape does gcc prefer?
>
> I don't think there is an escape for pid_t, you always have to cast it.

I think what he was asking is this:  Since pid_t has to be a signed integer
type, but gcc does not accept %d for it, then it could be that pid_t is wider
than an int, so casting it to int would potentially lose information.

(Btw., the Windows port defines pid_t as unsigned long; that's surely wrong.)

--
Peter Eisentraut