Re: thread safety tests

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: thread safety tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 6/9/2004 1:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > What we really need is a way to do the uid->username mapping in a
> > thread-safe way.  Could we check the environment for $USER or $LOGNAME?
> > Could we require them to be set for thread builds on OS's without
> > getpwuid_r and in cases where the username is not specified in the
> > connection string?
>
> Maybe not as popular, but what about breaking backward compatibility and
> require the DB name to be specified, no username fallback? How many
> applications really rely on that feature? And people who are used to it
> from the commandline can set PGDATABASE in their .profile to get it back.

That is only part of where the username is used. I assume it is also
used for connections when the username isn't supplied, not just as the
default for the database name.

Basically on those platforms, either the username would have to be in
the environment, or supplied as part of the connection string.

Pennsylvania19073