Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Дата
Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Jan,

> The list goes on and on, it has been there in this form or worse for
> years. Come again Josh, what did change on the MySQL side?

Zak took the "PostgreSQL sucks" section out of the documentation, for one
thing.   And Zak and I spoke to several people togther at PHPCon; Zak had no
problem referring people who wanted Oracle analogs to us, and I had no
problem referring webmasters with no DBA support to Zak (or to the SQLite
person, for that matter).

Further, I'll point out that we've been solicited to contribute to the crashme
script/test.  We haven't because it's a bad test, but then we can't hold
MySQL accountable for its faults.

MySQL has been vicious and unfair in the past.  But holding a grudge does NOT
benefit our project, especially if it's in public.

Or, to put it another way, let me tell you a story which I find parallel:

In the 1999 San Francisco Mayorial election, the front-runners were incumbent
Willie Brown and political hack Clint Reilly.   Former associates, both of
them spent over a million dollars and five months slinging mud at each other;
no insult or insinuation was too vile for either campaign; 20-year-old
compromising pictures and statements were dredged up, lawsuits were launched,
and the "attack ads" were legion.

Tom Ammiano, who was not on the ballot at all, launched a write-in campaign
starting less than 20 days before the election.   He came in first, a
historical record in San Francisco.

Is my point clear, here?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL