Re: Which database part 2

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: Which database part 2
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday 14 June 2003 22:12, Kaarel wrote:
> Besides asking this one question I have been reading PostgreSQL and
> MySQL mail-lists, searched some archives and read some articles over the
> internet. This is how I asked about SourceForge and DB2. I have got some
> very interesting new knowledge for the past week or so. Bear in mind
> that I will put anything you told me that isn't true on your conscience :)

You are welcome on this mailing list. We will do the best to inform you. But,
again, could you tell us more about your knowledge in database technologies?

For example, do you know the difference between a SELECT and an UPDATE clause,
a TABLE and VIEW? Do you know what is a SCHEMA? Do you know what ACID rules
mean? Do you know the difference betwenn a LEFT and a RIGHT JOIN? Do you know
what is a subselect? etc...

Your questions about MySQL/PostgreSQL are just like comparing Ms
Access/Oracle. At the first glance, a responsible developper is able to give
an answer.

But, you should not forget that good developpers are able to create nice and
working applications using whaterver tools they have (even Windows 95 or
MySQL).

Men and women skills are more important than tools.

Therefore, the answer to the question "MySQL or PostgreSQL" relies mainly on
you. If you are a good developper, you will create nice and working
applications, be it under PostgreSQL or MySQL.

In a way, the quest for PostgreSQL is a quest for knowledge and excellence.

Whenever you study PostgreSQL, you learn more about databases technologies.
You will then reach new limits, which in turn will ask you more questions...
This is the never ending story ...

Welcome in the PostgreSQL world,
Jean-Michel POURE