Re: Can pessimistic locking be emulated?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Can pessimistic locking be emulated?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin,

Just as a suggestion:  In most of my applications, we have a security layer
which is implemented through server-side functions.  These functions keep a
table updated which contains:

lock_table
record_id
lock_user
time_locked

This allows us to avoid nasty "your update cannot be processed"-type error
messages by showing the user up front which records are locked, as well as
allowing the admin to decide when locks should "time out".

I tend to find in general that database locking mechanisms are a very poor
locking strategy for a good UI.

--
Josh Berkus
josh@agliodbs.com