Re: Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 06:35:44PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> Do you know how well those numbers hold up under scsi and/ or raid based
> system? (I'd assume anyone doing serious work would run scsi)

On some Sun E450s we have used, the machines are unusable for any
load with xlog on the same disk (in the case I'm remembering, these
are older 5400 RPM drives).  Moving the xlog changed us for
<hazymemory>something like 10tps to something like 30tps</hazymemory>
in one seat-of-the-pants case.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

> ok (playing a bit of devil's advocate here), but you have two possible
> points of failure, the data disk and the xlog disk. If either one goes,
> your in trouble. OTOH if you put the OS disk on one drive and it goes,
> your database and xlog are still safe on the other drive.

If you're really worried about that, use RAID 1+0.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110