Re: Write to transaction logs, Permission Denied

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Write to transaction logs, Permission Denied
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Colin,

Please keep your replies on-list.  Isn't your concerns below better
answered by many instead of one?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:57:38PM +0200, Colin Mangiagalli wrote:
> Thanks for the response.

You are welcome.

> I downloaded the latest cygwin (dll 1.3.20-1 & 7.3.1-1) and also ipc
> 1.13-2 and 7.3 jdbc driver

Did the above solve your log recycle problem?

> I installed it and got everything working ok.

Good.

> My concern is, should we even be using PostgreSQL under Windows, as a
> production database and how stable is this new configuration going to
> be.

Unfortunately, I can't really answer the above.  I got involved with
Cygwin PostgreSQL in a previous life that ended with the dot com crash.
Hence, I never had the chance to experience Cygwin PostgreSQL in a real
production environment.

One poster reported good success with Cygwin PostgreSQL for about 30
users under Windows NT or 2000.  Other NT/2000 users reported positively
for what I would consider medium sized installations.

Note that PostgreSQL 7.4 will support a native Win32 port.  Maybe you
can use the Cygwin version for the time being and then switch over, if
necessary?

> I keep seeing on the mailing list, "cygwin keeps crashing, etc"
>
> The only trouble we have had up until now is the database going
> down while recycling the logs, which hopefully will not happen
> anymore in 7.3.1
>
> Otherwise, the database has been working fine.
>
> The company that I work for is now getting really worried about the
> fact that we used PostgreSQL under Windows, because the clients are
> not to happy at the moment.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

You are welcome.

Jason