removing duplicated constraints

От Dan Langille
Тема removing duplicated constraints
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I was looking through my database schema and noticed that some foreign key
declarations were duplicated.  For example, I found this statement
occurred twice within my DDL:

alter table ports
    add foreign key (category_id)
       references categories (id) on update cascade on delete cascade;

I fixed up the DDL to remove the duplicates.  Then I turned to the 7.2
PostgreSQL database to examine that situation.  I noticed this
duplication:

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER "<unnamed>" AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON "ports"
FROM "categories" NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE "RI_FKey_check_ins"
('<unnamed>', 'ports', 'categories', 'UNSPECIFIED', 'category_id', 'id');

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER "<unnamed>" AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON "ports"
FROM "categories" NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE "RI_FKey_check_ins"
('<unnamed>', 'ports', 'categories', 'UNSPECIFIED', 'category_id', 'id');

To my eye, those two contraints are identical.  Some may consider that as
a bug (i.e postgres allowing a FK to be duplicated).  I see it as a
feature, which in this case, has been misused.

From what I see, I can easily delete either one of these two constraints
without affecting the relational integrity of the database.  Do you agree?

This is how I'm going to identify the duplicate constraints.

$ pg_dump -s > fp2migration.ddl
$ grep "CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER" ~/fp2migration.ddl  > constraints.txt
$ cat constraints.txt | sort | uniq > constraints.sorted.txt
$ wc -l constraints.txt
      93 constraints.txt
$ wc -l constraints.sorted.txt
      78 constraints.sorted.txt

It looks like I have 15 duplicated constraints to fix up.

Thanks
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples