Fsync Slashdot discussion

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Fsync Slashdot discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I am reading an interesting discussion about fsync() and disk flush on
Slashdot.  The discussion starts about log-based file systems, then
moves to disk fsync about 20% into the discussion.

Look for:
Real issue is HARD DRIVE CACHEs

All this discussion relates to WAL and our use of fsync().

There is also a mention of PostgreSQL:
I just tried both about 3 weeks ago. I first tried reieserfs. Workedfine until I tried to load a postgresql database.
Neverfinished afterrunning all night--it realy thrashed the drive (I also run a RAID level0 on the filesystem).
Switchedto xfs and everything ran great (dbloaded in a few hours). Been running xfs ever since. I'd like to see xfsget
putinto the stock kernel along with reiserfs. It's possible myproblems with reiserfs have since been fixed.

Also, in reading the thread, it seems xfs is much more log-based than
Reiser, so we may only have WAL/fsync() performance problems on xfs.

Pennsylvania19026