Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:22:21PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Hmm, I'm getting the feeling that perhaps at this point we should
> explicitly *not* support NaN at all. After all, the underlying reason for
> offering them is to provide IEEE 754 compliant floating point arithmetic,
> but if we start making compromises such as NaN == NaN or NaN > +Infinity
> then we might as well not do it. In these cases I opine that if you can't
> do something correctly then you should perhaps be honest and don't do
> it. After all, users that want a "not-a-number" can use NULL in most
> cases, and hard-core floating point users are going to fail miserably
> with the FE/BE protocol anyway.

Pretty much were I have come to on this, as well. The point is to get
the existing NaN to not break indicies or sorting. The simplest way is
to disable it.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

От: "Mark Hollomon"
Сообщение: Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?
Сообщение: Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?