Re: modifying a timestamp in a C trigger

От Louis-David Mitterrand
Тема Re: modifying a timestamp in a C trigger
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:45:19AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
> At 04:47 PM 8/14/00 +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> >I just finished a new C trigger that updated a "modified" column with
> >the current time upon an UPDATE event. It seems to work OK but I just
> >wanted to bounce this off you guys to check for some non-kosher stuff or
> >better way of doing it. Thanks in advance.
>
> This could easily done in PL/pgSQL.  Your C trigger will have to be modified
> if the details of trigger or the function call protocol changes, while the
> PL/pgSQL source will work forever without change.
>
> And since the expense is in the "update" itself, I'd be surprised if you
> could measure any speed difference between the two approaches.
>
> Unless you're doing this to learn how to write C triggers for the heck
> of it or to do stuff you can't do in PL/pgSQL, the PL/pgSQL approach is
> much better.

Yes, that's the main reason: being able to program triggers in C, to be
prepared for the moment when only C will cut it for certain features I
am thinking about. It's a kind of training as I don't have a programming
background.

PL/pgsql is very nice and quick, granted, but sometimes a bit hard to
debug: 'parser error near ""' messages sometimes occur and make you
wonder where in your code is the error.

Thanks for your input, cheers,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm@apartia.org - http://www.apartia.org

MACINTOSH == Most Applications Crash If Not The Operatings System Hangs