Re: Arrays and foreign keys

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Arrays and foreign keys
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > Well, the two types aren't the same (one is an integer the
> > other an integer array,) so I wouldn't expect it to work. Note:
>
> Eh, I could figure that out myself. What I'm asking for is if there is a way to
> combine arrays with foreign keys?
>
> I believe the answer for now is 'no', but did like to get it confirmed, and
> also draw attention to this if someone wants to make it.
>
> > * Make sure that types used in foreign key constraints
> >   are comparable.
>
> And maybe
> * Add foreign key constraint for arrays
   The  major  problem  isn't  that we do not have a comparision   operator for int4 vs. _int4. The bigger one is that
there is   no  easy  way to build an index on them, and that there is no   way to define what a referential action
shouldreally  do  in   the case of cascaded operations.

   For  a  primary  key  containing  an array, the values of all   array elements of all rows must be unique and  NOT
NULL. So   there  must  be  a  unique  index  on the elements, the array   itself cannot be NULL, no element of the
array can  be  NULL   and there must be at least one element.

   And for a foreign key containing an array, what to do when ON   DELETE CASCADE is requested? DELETE the FK  row?
Remove the   element  from  the array?  DELETE the row then when the array   get's empty or not?

   Are these questions answered by the standard? If not,  do  we   want  to  answer  them ourself and take the risk the
standard  someday answers them different?

   For the meantime, I suggest normalize your schema if you want   referential integrity.

Jan

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: Arrays and foreign keys
От: Ben Adida
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: Re: haven't forgotten about you...]