Re: mac.c

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: mac.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Since macaddr_manuf() will not be up to date, I'd say lets make
> > the new function macaddr_brand, and if someone wants to do the other
> > two, fine.  I'd also doc the fact that macaddr_manuf() is deprecated, marked
> > for deletion one or two releases down the line (since the table will
> > no longer be updated, and is very much outdated).
>
> I've been thinking about this a bit, coincidentally while I've been
> working on the LIKE implementation for string comparisons.
>
> Why not implement like() and notlike() for macaddr data types which (if
> both args are macaddr) will compare on manufacturer's fields alone? That
> would seem to get all the functionality you might want.
>
> Example:
>
>   SELECT * FROM machines where hwaddr LIKE
>    (select id from MacIdCodes where manuf = 'Intel');
>
> or something like that.
>
> That would avoid ginning up something artificial like a macaddr with
> some fields zeroed out. We would still have an equality operator etc.
We still need to load a *TABLE* with a 3 byte hex number (at least) for
the OUI, and a text field for the actual manufacturer (see my posted
ouiparse.awk script).  How do we store that 3 byte hex number (we don't have
a type that I'm aware of...)?

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, but I'm not sure what it buys us after
the later suggestions I made of returning a half-zeroed mac...

Larry

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org

От: Thomas Lockhart
Сообщение: Re: mac.c
От: Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Сообщение: AW: Questionable coding in proc.c & lock.c