Re: --enable-locale and SET command ...

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: --enable-locale and SET command ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>     Have a client that is asking us to enable localization support so
> that he can deal with turkish characters ...

What is the encoding for turkish? If it's sort of ISO 8859, you could
INSERT/SELECT turkish characters with standard PostgreSQL.

>docs seem a bit sparse on
> this (or I'm not looking in the right place), but I'm guessing I want to
> use --enable-locale vs --enable-multibyte? *raised eyebrow*

If you want to sort the result correctly, go with --enable-locale (of
course if the turkish LOCALE database in your system is correct).

On the other hand, if you want to use Unicode, --enable-locale will
not help. If the encoding for Unicode is UTF-8, probably you could
live with --enable-multibyte. This one will give correct results for
LIKE and regex search, but for the sort order, I'm not sure.

Anyway, the decision really depends on the encoding. Can you tell me
more details?

>     It appears that I can't set this on a per-database?  Its the whole
> server?

They are for the compile time options. So they are for the whole
server, of courese. No?
--
Tatsuo Ishii