Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 28, 2024, at 10:10 PM, Euler Taveira wrote:
On Fri, Jan 26, 2024, at 4:55 AM, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:
Again, thanks for updating the patch! There are my random comments for v9.

Thanks for checking v9. I already incorporated some of the points below into
the next patch. Give me a couple of hours to include some important points.

Here it is another patch that includes the following changes:

* rename the tool to pg_createsubscriber: it was the name with the most votes
  [1].
* fix recovery-timeout option [2]
* refactor: split setup_publisher into check_publisher (that contains only GUC
  checks) and setup_publisher (that does what the name suggests) [2]
* doc: verbose option can be specified multiple times [2]
* typedefs.list: add LogicalRepInfo [2]
* fix: register cleanup routine after the data structure (dbinfo) is assigned
  [2]
* doc: add mandatory options to synopsis [3]
* refactor: rename some options (such as publisher-conninfo to
  publisher-server) to use the same pattern as pg_rewind.
* feat: remove publications from subscriber [2]
* feat: use temporary replication slot to get consistent LSN [3]
* refactor: move subscriber setup to its own function
* refactor: stop standby server to its own function [2]
* refactor: start standby server to its own function [2]
* fix: getopt options [4]

There is a few open items in my list. I included v10-0002. I had already
included a refactor to include start/stop functions so I didn't include
v10-0003. I'll check v10-0004 tomorrow.

One open item that is worrying me is how to handle the pg_ctl timeout. This
patch does nothing and the user should use PGCTLTIMEOUT environment variable to
avoid that the execution is canceled after 60 seconds (default for pg_ctl).
Even if you set a high value, it might not be enough for cases like
time-delayed replica. Maybe pg_ctl should accept no timeout as --timeout
option. I'll include this caveat into the documentation but I'm afraid it is
not sufficient and we should provide a better way to handle this situation.

--
Euler Taveira

Вложения