RE: [HACKERS] Status report: long-query-string changes

От Ansley, Michael
Тема RE: [HACKERS] Status report: long-query-string changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Can I suggest that defined targets are set up for major releases (if they
aren't already).  I don't think that major releases need to happen on a
regular cycle.  That's for patch releases.  Having three months or so's
worth of patches in a point release is useful, but I only want to upgrade
(as opposed to patch) a production environment when it's going to buy me a
well-defined set of new functions, e.g.: MVCC, unlimited row length, etc.,
etc.  So if we don't have a major release for twelve or fourteen months, so
what.  Besides, for anybody running a production environment, it could take
a couple of months worth of inhouse testing before they can make the move
anyway.  When moving from Oracle 7.3 to 8.0, our system will go through 6-9
months worth of strenuous testing.

Are the releases currently time based, or function based, or a little bit of
both?

MikeA