Re: Limit allocated memory per session

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Limit allocated memory per session
Дата
Re: Limit allocated memory per session  (daveg <daveg@sonic.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com> writes:
> Tom Lane escreveu:
>> daveg <daveg@sonic.net> writes:
>>> I'd like to propose adding a new GUC to limit the amount of memory a backend
>>> can allocate for its own use.
>>
>> Use ulimit.
>>
> What about plataforms (Windows) that don't have ulimit?

Get a real operating system ;-)

Seriously, the proposed patch introduces overhead into a place that is
already a known hot spot, in return for not much of anything.  It will
*not* bound backend memory use very accurately, because there is no way
to track raw malloc() calls.  And I think that 99% of users will not
find it useful.