Re: postgreSQL and history of relational databases

От Mark Woodward
Тема Re: postgreSQL and history of relational databases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Hi there,
>
> while learning inkscape I did a sketch of picture describing
> history of relational databases. It's available from
> http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/

Is there a direct line from INGRES to Postgres? I was under the impression
that Postgres is a "new" lineage started after INGRES sharing little or no
code.

The line from Ingres through RDb, Oracle, to Informix seems to indicate a
lineage. Is there one? Is Oracle based, in some way, on INGRES?

IS there a relation between IBM System R and INGRES or is that just a
placement issue?

What is the raltionship between System R and SQL and DB2?

What does Agatha Christie have do do with anything? (Other than having
Hecule investigate the death of SCO.)

While it is interesting, there seems to be implied connections by
proximity, and I'm not sure of the explicit connections by line. You'll
need some references.