Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.

От John Murtari
Тема Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> > I don't really get the point of the SHOW STATISTICS command.  There is> > already a command whose purpose is to
retrievedata in tabular form,> > namely SELECT.> > I presume we need not worry about that, since the SQL committee are>
certainlynot going to standardize something that's only there for> DBs that don't support information_schema.> >
Actually,the idea of standardizing anything at all in this area seems> pretty bogus.  The events that are interesting
tomeasure are below the> semantic level of the standard --- for instance, how are you going to> count index searches,
whenthe standard doesn't even recognize the> existence of indexes?  Let alone things like buffer cache hits, which is>
aconcept that might not exist at all in some implementations.  I think> we can safely assume that the proposed
standardizationeffort will go> nowhere, and just look at whether this is interesting for Postgres.>

       Thanks for the feedback. I do agree, and sorry for any
confusion, the SHOW syntax was not meant for standardization at the
SQL level. We will keep your other remarks in mind as we proceed.
       Best regards!

--                                       John
John Murtari                            Software Workshop Inc.
jmurtari@thebook.com                  "software that fits!" (TM)
(315) 944-0999 (x-211)             http://www.SoftwareWorkshop.com/