BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      18411
Logged by:          Myka Anold Dresser
Email address:      myanodress@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.2
Operating system:   AWS RDS

Using the postgres user on AWS RDS, execution of

CREATE USER my_user WITH PASSWORD 'my-user-password';
CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH OWNER=my_user;

Results in an error:

ERROR:  must be able to SET ROLE "my_user"
SQL state: 42501

However, the following succeeds
CREATE USER my_user WITH PASSWORD 'my-user-password';
CREATE DATABASE my_database;
ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO my_user;

Is this intended behaviour or am I taking advantage of a bug by creating the
database and then setting the OWNER using ALTER DATABASE?

The documentation suggests that both forms should cause an error
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-grant.html
To create an object owned by another role or give ownership of an existing
object to another role, you must have the ability to SET ROLE to that role;
otherwise, commands such as ALTER ... OWNER TO or CREATE DATABASE ... OWNER
will fail.