BUG #18348: Inconsistency with EXTRACT([field] from INTERVAL);

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #18348: Inconsistency with EXTRACT([field] from INTERVAL);
Дата
Re: BUG #18348: Inconsistency with EXTRACT([field] from INTERVAL);  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      18348
Logged by:          Michael Bondarenko
Email address:      work.michael.2956@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 14.10
Operating system:   macOS

Hello,

I'm building a random semantically-correct SQL code generator for PostgreSQL
and I stumbled upon an inconsistency:

tpch=# select extract(year from interval '3 years');
 extract
---------
       3
(1 row)

tpch=# select extract(week from interval '3 weeks');
ERROR:  interval units "week" not supported

In the documentation it's mentioned that 'week' is an ISO 8601 week, so it
makes sense why it's not applicable to INTERVAL, which is the same for
isoyear. However, the field is named week and not isoweek, so I expect it to
work like the `select extract(year from interval '3 years');` does.
Moreover, the documentation does not mention that the field cannot be
extracted from INTERVAL, like it does for isoyear:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-EXTRACT
.