BUG #18138: Using limit on VALUES causes type conversion to fail.

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #18138: Using limit on VALUES causes type conversion to fail.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      18138
Logged by:          Akash Kava
Email address:      ackava@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 15.4
Operating system:   alpine

Doing UPSERT is not easy and I know it is a complicated process. However,
since UPDATE has a WHERE clause, there is no way we can do conditional
INSERT.

But I was able to find a workaround, using LIMIT keyword with VALUES. I am
aware of the ON CONFLICT clause, but the issue with ON CONFLICT is, it
increases identity every time we want to update a row.

 INSERT INTO the_table(column_1, column_2)
      VALUES ($1, $2)
      LIMIT LEAST((SELECT 1 FROM the_table WHERE key_1 = $3),2)-1

Basically this is a part of a larger query I have explained here.
https://stackoverflow.com/a/77190090/85597

This works as expected except for boolean and date fields.

Here is the example,
https://www.db-fiddle.com/f/g4LMVToHjrbYTDXT4MB1K/2

insert into avatar(username,url,is_public)
values ('a','b', 'true');

insert into avatar(username,url)
values ('a1','b')
limit LEAST((SELECT 1 FROM avatar),2)-1;

insert into avatar(username,url,is_public)
values ('a2','b', 'true')
limit LEAST((SELECT 1 FROM avatar),2)-1;

The problem occurs when we are sending data from node-postgres library.

Is there any work around? IF this will work correctly, we will be able to
use UPSERT easily without having gaps in identity sequences.