Re: Allow specifying a dbname in pg_basebackup connection string

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: Allow specifying a dbname in pg_basebackup connection string
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 5, 2023, at 9:43 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
I guess my immediate question is, should backups be taken through
PgBouncer?  It seems beyond PgBouncer's remit.

One of the PgBouncer's missions is to be a transparent proxy.

Sometimes you cannot reach out the database directly due to a security policy.
I've heard this backup question a few times. IMO if dbname doesn't matter for
reaching the server directly, I don't see a problem relaxing this restriction
to support this use case. We just need to document that dbname will be ignored
if specified. Other connection poolers might also benefit from it.

--
Euler Taveira