Re: AW: pg_attribute growing and growing and growing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AW: pg_attribute growing and growing and growing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
>> Since table OIDs keep increasing, this formulation ensures that new
>> entries will always sort to the end of the index, and so space freed
>> internally in the indexes can never get re-used.  Swapping the column
>> order may eliminate that problem --- but I'm not sure what if any
>> speed penalty would be incurred.  Thoughts anyone?

> Isn't pg_attribute often accessed with a "where oid=xxx" restriction
> to get all cols for a given table ?

Hmm, good point.  I don't think the system itself does that --- AFAIR
it just looks up specific rows by relid+name or relid+num --- but making
this change would make the indexes useless for applications that make
that kind of query.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Сообщение: Re: Optimisation deficiency: currval('seq')-->seq scan, constant-->index scan
Сообщение: Re: Optimisation deficiency: currval('seq')-->seq scan, constant-->index scan