Re: pgbouncer many version madness

От Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Тема Re: pgbouncer many version madness
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum

Hi,

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 14:51 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Could someone explain to me the rationale of the Git repository
> organization?

We have separate directories for each PostgreSQL major version, and
then each software and each distro that we support. This organization
is really historical, when we had only a few packages and a few distros
to support.

>  Over the past few months, I have submitted a few bug
> fixes and improvements for pgbouncer.  I wanted to check into whether
> they had been committed or released.
>
> There are 58 pgbouncer.spec files in the git repository!
>
>     rpm/$OS/$PGVERSION/pgbouncer/$OSVERSION/pgbouncer.spec

See above.

> This doesn't make any sense, because pgbouncer doesn't care about the
> PostgreSQL version, and a well-written spec file also shouldn't care
> that much about the OS version.

The build script/system we use right now depends on the directory
structure.

> I think my changes have only been merged into the 9.4 section (and
> presumably later "branched" into 9.5).  Why?  It's not clear why some
> commits but not others go into only the latest $PGVERSION
> subdirectory.

That is my oversight. The policy is to apply the changes to all
branches.

> If I want to submit changes, where are they supposed to go?

All branches.

> What's totally crazy, however, is that when I download an RPM from
> the web site, the file names don't include the $PGVERSION.  So there
> are RPM files out there that are named identically, have similar
> timestamps, but different features and bug fixes.

This is is a rare exception, as I told above. Sorry about that.

> I don't know what the build infrastructure is or what file layout it
> requires, but I think for non-extension modules, the layout ought to
> be simply
>
>     rpm/redhat/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.spec

I know that current infrastructure is crazy to maintain, I think it is
easier when it comes to building the packages.

That said, I have some cycles in next few days. I'll take a look at
pgbouncer packaging.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ