Re: How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kevin Grittner-5 wrote
> Frank Church <

> voipfc@

> > wrote:
>
>> I just want to start up postgres or pg_ctl process using a
>> different port, pointing to a different data directory and get it
>> running, with permissions etc working okay.
>
> I recommend you spend some time looking over the relevant
> documentation, trying to make it work, and posting a more specific
> question if you have problems with that.  These links might be good
> places to start:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/tutorial-start.html
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/app-initdb.html

Or this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/installation.html

Its hard to tell what you ultimate goal is.  Do you want to create you own
custom file layout instead of one that has been chosen by one of the popular
and well-supported distros?  If so the short answer is to, in effect, create
you own custom package.  That ultimately requires that you compile
PostgreSQL yourself with your own custom configuration.

David J.