Re: Client application name

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Client application name
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> Looking further, I think this might be quite clean:

> - Add a precedence flag to PQconninfoOption

> - In conninfo_parse, in the section that grabs the envvars for empty
> params, modify the logic to override any existing values if a value is
> set in the environment and the precedence flag is set for that option.

> That may be useful in the future for other options, and will certainly
> be less ugly than special casing one setting.

Changing PQconninfoOption would be an ABI break necessitating a soname
bump and recompiling all libpq-using applications.  If there were a
significant probability that we'd have additional options in future that
should act this way, it might be worth it.  But I don't think there is.

The approach with two different conninfo options is really probably the
logically cleanest answer short of an ABI break.