Algorithm for generating md5 encrypted password not found in documentation

От Fred Cox
Тема Algorithm for generating md5 encrypted password not found in documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-createrole.html there is mention of a possibility of setting a password for a new role by supplying it in md5 format.  This format doesn't seem to be documented.

"If the presented password string is already in MD5-encrypted format, then it is stored encrypted as-is"

Looking at pg_dumpall let me know that the string needs to start with "md5" but a naive running if my password through the command line md5 utility and prefixing "md5" was not correct.

If the algorithm is documented elsewhere, can it be linked from this page?

Thanks,

Fred