Re: Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance

От mdxxd
Тема Re: Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for all of the info guys. Sadly, i'm still a little confused :)
What i'm looking for is building a fast and reliable PC for my purposes
while getting the best bang for buck. I don't mind paying 500$, 1000$ or
2000$ if its WORTH it(i.e i'm looking for the point where paying extra won't
effect my needs much).
Sure, getting an i7, 32gb 2133mhz cl7, 2*SSD in raid 1, an extrnal UPS for
protection etc will be best, but is it necessary for me or is it an
overkill?
CPU:
I'm still not sure what should I get. If i understand correctly Greg
message, despite my workload, i7 won't have much benefit for me and I should
get i5(i7=4 cores with HT=8, i5=4 cores)?
RAM:
From Scot/Craig I understood that I'm going to want to have my whole DB fit
into my RAM. But I don't think it is possible, even with 16GB RAM. From Greg
I understood that I only need the data that is being processed to fit into
my RAM. So i'm a bit confused. Should I get 8GB or 16GB?
SSD:
This one is the most tricky. I read that consumer SSD is not reliable
enough(can have BSOD, can cause in data corruption, in case of power
shutdown data might be lost etc), also I read that SQL will tear-up a
consumer SSD.  Therefore i'm not sure what should I do. Getting 2 7200 rpm
hdd's in raid 0 will still cause big bottleneck right? Getting an SSD and
UPS for power shutdown protection should cut it or is it still not reliable
enough and prone to failure(or slowing down due to massive write)? What
should I do?

Thanks.