Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?
Дата
Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?  (James Mansion <james@mansionfamily.plus.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> Would postgres get considerably cleaner if a hypothetical 9.0 release
> skipped backward compatibility and removed anything that's only
> maintained for historical reasons?

Yeah, and our user community would get a lot smaller too :-(

Actually, I think any attempt to do that would result in a fork,
and a consequent splintering of the community.  We can get away
with occasionally cleaning up individual problematic behaviors
(example: implicit casts to text), but any sort of all-at-once
breakage would result in a lot of people Just Saying No.