Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
nunks <nunks.lol@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to support an application in production at work, and for some
> obscure reason the developer made it drop and re-create a column
> periodically.

Not a good idea ...

> I know this is a bad practice (to say the least), and I'm telling them to
> fix it, but after the 1600th drop/add cycle, PostgreSQL starts giving out
> the column limit error:

>     ERROR:  tables can have at most 1600 columns

Yup.  "Dropping" a column just hides it, doesn't make it disappear.
There are a lot of reasons why that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit