Re: Issues in partitioning - constraint dependency

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Issues in partitioning - constraint dependency
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2009-11-10 at 16:22 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> I'm working on partitioning syntax, amd encountered a dependency issue.
> When we define partition, also create an implicit CHECK constraint.
> The constraint should be kept until the pg_inherits entry is removed.
> But we cannot have a dependency from the constraint to the inheritance.

I'd say, don't worry about it for now.  Eventually, we will probably
want to replace the partitioning by CHECK constraint by some other
mechanism (like operator classes or something), at which point we will
want to come up with a more robust catalog representation.  The mandate
at the moment, I suppose, is just to hide the existing functionality
behind a special purpose syntax to make the future internal changes
easier.