Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/
Дата
Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/  ("Joel Jacobson" <joel@compiler.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 12:55 PM Aleksander Alekseev
> <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
>> Back in 2016 while being at PostgresPro I developed the ZSON extension [1]. The extension introduces the new ZSON
type,which is 100% compatible with JSONB but uses a shared dictionary of strings most frequently used in given JSONB
documentsfor compression.

> If the extension is mature enough, why make it an extension in
> contrib, and not instead either enhance the existing jsonb type with
> it or make it a built-in type?

IMO we have too d*mn many JSON types already.  If we can find a way
to shoehorn this optimization into JSONB, that'd be great.  Otherwise
I do not think it's worth the added user confusion.

Also, even if ZSON was "100% compatible with JSONB" back in 2016,
a whole lot of features have been added since then.  Having to
duplicate all that code again for a different data type is not
something I want to see us doing.  So that's an independent reason
for wanting to hide this under the existing type not make a new one.

Сообщение: Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/
Сообщение: Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/