Re: Updatable views/with check option parsing

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Updatable views/with check option parsing
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2006-05-26 kell 22:50, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> I wrote:
> > We can use the same technique that we used for UNION JOIN, but instead
> > join, say, WITH and TIME into one token and make the time datatype
> > productions look for "TIME WITHTIME ZONE" and so on.  (I propose this
> > rather than putting the ugliness into WITH CHECK OPTION, because this
> > way we should only need one merged token and thus only one case to
> > check in the filter function; AFAICS we'd need three cases if we
> > merge tokens on that end of it.)
>
> On investigation that turns out to have been a bad idea: if we do it
> that way, it becomes necessary to promote WITH to a fully reserved word.
> The counterexample is
>
>     CREATE VIEW v AS SELECT * FROM foo WITH ...
>
> Is WITH an alias for foo (with no AS), or is it the start of a WITH
> CHECK OPTION?  No way to tell without lookahead.
>
> While I don't think that making WITH a fully reserved word would cause
> any great damage, I'm unwilling to do it just to save a couple of lines
> of code.

I think we should go on and do promote WITH to a reserved keyword now
because eventually we have to do it anyway.

It is needed for recursive queries as well. I don't pretend to be an
expert bison coder, but I was unable to define a grammar for
SQL-standard recursive queries without making WITH a reserved keyword.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com