Re: Be more clear what names can be used for tables with "CREATE TABLE"?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Be more clear what names can be used for tables with "CREATE TABLE"?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Sat, 2021-10-30 at 11:08 +0000, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
>> in the documentation for CREATE TABLE we have this sentence:
>> "The name of the table must be distinct from the name of any other table, sequence, index, view, or foreign table in
thesame schema."
>> At least materialized views are missing:

> Technically speaking, it is "objects stored in pg_class".

We use "relation" for that concept in the code, and I believe that
that terminology is also used in the manual.  I'm inclined to propose

"The name of the table must be distinct from the name of any other
relation (table, sequence, index, view, materialized view, or foreign
table) in the same schema."

I think the existing wording might be that way because somebody
figured that "view" could subsume "materialized view".  Which
isn't an unreasonable position, but we haven't done it like that
consistently.

I don't think we need to be similarly exhaustive about enumerating
the kinds of types that there are.