Re: Bug with index-usage?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Bug with index-usage?
Re: Bug with index-usage?  (Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 11:07, Sebastian Böck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get unpredictibale results selecting from a view depending on
> index-usage.

PostgreSQL uses a cost based planner.  So, it tends to not use the plan
you might expect, especially in "toy" test cases with small data sets.
I.e. why use an index to look up 10 values, when they all fit on the
same page.  Just seq scan the data from the table.

Fill up your table with REAL data (or a close substitute) and test
again.  Also, read up on the admin section, specifically the part on the
postgresql.conf file and what the settings in there mean, then read
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html