Re: "Idle in Transaction" revisited.

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: "Idle in Transaction" revisited.
Список pgsql-jdbc
[snip]
> I'm amazed...   Sounds like noone is doing any serious work with JDBC, or
> only has short lived 'applet' kind of applications where long persistance
> connections aren't an issue.

In our experience, long running transactions are a PITA for all databases, even if they seam to work fine.
It is always possible to design the work flow so that the transactions are short lived:
 - don't ever open a transaction and then wait for user input;
 - use cooperative locking instead of data base locking for long lived locks;
 - chunk transactions when processing huge amounts of data;

Regarding cooperative locking and the fact that after a crash the lock
stays: I'm not sure how your application is designed, but in ours after
a crash we definitely want it to stay there, so we can manually check
the consistency of the data before releasing the lock for further
processing. I have bad experience with automatic recovery after crashes.

Just my 2c,
Csaba.