Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Philip Crotwell" <crotwell@seis.sc.edu> writes:
> It would be nice if mod could directly take a double,

Given the inherent approximate nature of float arithmetic, I'm not sure
this makes a lot of sense.  How often do you really do modulo on floats?

> but if not the docs
> should say that the arguments should be NUMERIC

That would be incorrect.  We have it for all the exact numeric types.

regression=# \df mod
                     List of functions
   Schema   | Name | Result data type | Argument data types
 pg_catalog | mod  | bigint           | bigint, bigint
 pg_catalog | mod  | integer          | integer, integer
 pg_catalog | mod  | integer          | integer, smallint
 pg_catalog | mod  | integer          | smallint, integer
 pg_catalog | mod  | numeric          | numeric, numeric
 pg_catalog | mod  | smallint         | smallint, smallint
(6 rows)

I don't see an easy way to cram that statement into the small amount of
space available in the table though :-(