Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> >Help me out here... what's your perceived difference between kazaa and
> >bittorrent?
> >

> I won't speak for someone else but I would guess that it is that
> Bittorrent isn't a business, it is a technology.
> Where Kazaa is a business.
>
> Personally I have zero problem with Kazaa and I think Open Office should
> use every legal means possible to
> distribute their software.
>
> If I buy a gun , and kill you... is that my fault or the fault of the
> gun maker?

Hmmm, we'll I agree with that arguement but I don't think that is a good
example.  As a musician and owner of a publishing company also, I think the
American retail commerical music market is grossly over priced- CDs are
sometimes the same price as DVDs- PUHLEEEZZEE- the point of the matter is the
kazaa is enabling- this like one of the top things for college student to do
these days.   From what I understand, last year RIAA and Kazaa regularly squared
off on TechTV and the basically (this is 3rd party info so I could be wrong) the
jist of things from Kazaa, "we know about the piracy and we don't care".  I my
mind his is more like buying a gun and the selling telling you how to get teflon
coated ammo.

Someone mentioned the "appearance" of things an I think that argument holds some
weight.  I think MS and many other people/orgs are waiting for the OSS community
to be deal a disabling blow- anything that will curtail growth and acceptance.
Perfect example of ths is when SCO's stock shot way up when they announced their
suit again Linux/IBM.  Kazaa just has too much bad press in the recent past.

One plus for me about Kazaa is that seem to be very pro-privacy but I think you
can do that an protect copywrites as well.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications