Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> On 3/5/24 17:04, Tom Lane wrote:
>> After reading the thread at [1], I could not escape the feeling
>> that contrib/tablefunc's error reporting is very confusing.

> The changes all look good to me and indeed more consistent with the docs.
> Do you want me to push these? If so, development tip  only, or backpatch?

I can push that.  I was just thinking HEAD, we aren't big on changing
error reporting in back branches.

>> BTW, while I didn't touch it here, it seems fairly bogus that
>> connectby() checks both type OID and typmod for its output
>> columns while crosstab() only checks type OID.  I think
>> crosstab() is in the wrong and needs to be checking typmod.
>> That might be fit material for a separate patch though.

> I can take a look at this. Presumably this would not be for backpatching.

I'm not sure whether that could produce results bad enough to be
called a bug or not.  But I too would lean towards not back-patching,
in view of the lack of field complaints.

Сообщение: Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting
Сообщение: Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting