Re: UUID v7

От Sergey Prokhorenko
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Jelte,

Andrey's patch corresponds exactly to Fixed-Length Dedicated Counter Bits (Method 1).

Andrey and you simply did not read the RFC a little further down in the text:

The following sub-topics cover topics related solely with creating reliable fixed-length dedicated counters:

Fixed-Length Dedicated Counter Seeding:

Implementations utilizing the fixed-length counter method randomly initialize the counter with each new timestamp tick. However, when the timestamp has not increased, the counter is instead incremented by the desired increment logic. When utilizing a randomly seeded counter alongside Method 1, the random value MAY be regenerated with each counter increment without impacting sortability. The downside is that Method 1 is prone to overflows if a counter of adequate length is not selected or the random data generated leaves little room for the required number of increments. Implementations utilizing fixed-length counter method MAY also choose to randomly initialize a portion of the counter rather than the entire counter. For example, a 24 bit counter could have the 23 bits in least-significant, right-most, position randomly initialized. The remaining most significant, left-most counter bit is initialized as zero for the sole purpose of guarding against counter rollovers.

Fixed-Length Dedicated Counter Length:
Select a counter bit-length that can properly handle the level of timestamp precision in use. For example, millisecond precision generally requires a larger counter than a timestamp with nanosecond precision. General guidance is that the counter SHOULD be at least 12 bits but no longer than 42 bits. Care must be taken to ensure that the counter length selected leaves room for sufficient entropy in the random portion of the UUID after the counter. This entropy helps improve the unguessability characteristics of UUIDs created within the batch.
The following sub-topics cover rollover handling with either type of counter method:
Counter Rollover Handling:

Counter rollovers MUST be handled by the application to avoid sorting issues. The general guidance is that applications that care about absolute monotonicity and sortability should freeze the counter and wait for the timestamp to advance which ensures monotonicity is not broken. Alternatively, implementations MAY increment the timestamp ahead of the actual time and reinitialize the counter.

Sergey Prokhorenko
sergeyprokhorenko@yahoo.com.au

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 06:36:13 pm GMT+3, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 at 19:27, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> Sorry for this long and vague explanation, if it still seems too uncertain we can have a chat or something like that. I don't think this number picking stuff deserve to be commented, because it still is quite close to random. RFC gives us too much freedom of choice.

I thought your explanation was quite clear and I agree that this
approach makes the most sense. I sent an email to the RFC authors to
ask for their feedback with you (Andrey) in the CC, because even
though it makes the most sense it does not comply with the either of
method 1 or 2 as described in the RFC.