Re: Modyifying a column's datatype

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Modyifying a column's datatype
Дата
Re: Modyifying a column's datatype  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:56, Louise Cofield wrote:
> Greetings –
>

> It looks to me as if there is no way to alter the datatype of a table
> column, as in from timestamp to varchar.  Am I right?  (I will cry if
> I’m right.) L.
>
> It appears that I must drop and then re-create the table structure,
> with my new column datatype,  in order to keep the columns in the
> current order – true?

There are references to this all throughout the archives.

begin;
alter table foo add column bar varchar;
update foo set bar = cast(sniffle as varchar);
alter table foo drop column sniffle;
alter table foo rename column bar to sniffle;
commit;

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

От: "Girish Bajaj"
Сообщение: Lock and read next
От: Jeff Eckermann
Сообщение: Re: Modyifying a column's datatype