Re: 10.0

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: 10.0
Дата
Re: 10.0  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/13/16 2:12 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> A) make a variant of version() that returns major/minor/bugfix as
> separate fields with minor being set to 0 for all released versions
> 10.0 and beyond.  We could then add a NOTE to the version function and
> other places suggesting to use that instead for 9.6.
>
> B) Preserve x.y.z as returned by version() and show server_version for
> those usages only, with 'y' being always 0 for 10.0 and beyond.  For
> all other purposes (marketing/documentation/etc) that structure would
> *not* be preserved, and we would put notes in the documentation
> describing why the extra digit is there.
>
> C) Do neither A or B, and let our users discover such issues on their own.

D) Add a version function to 10.0 that returns both parts separately.

My vote is D. Parsing version() output is a wart, but coming out with a
split output version of that in 9.6 that still has to support 3 numbers
would also be a wart. We've lived with the parsing wart this long, so
lets just add an explicit output version to 10.0.

Any ideas on naming for such a function? version_detail()? I suppose
while we're at this we might as well provide the compile details as well.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461

Сообщение: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions
Сообщение: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions